MENU

by • August 17, 2011 • UncategorizedComments (13)3442

Write on Wednesdays… A gift of Serendipity

This week Felicity and Write on Wednesdays are in cahoots. Write on Wednesdays is going to use her Word of the Week as our writing prompt.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 10 – A Gift of Serendipity… Take Felicity‘s Word of the Week. Write it at the top of your page. Set your timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the Word of the Week. Stop writing when the buzzer rings.

Felicity’s Word of the Week is…

Piqued:
A state of vexation caused by a perceived slight or indignity; a feeling of wounded pride.tr.v. piqued, piqu·ing, piques

1. To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
2. To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
3. To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.

I’ve decided to continue with the character and story from last week’s Write on Wednesday exercise.

Write on Wednesdays

As she unbuckled Jacob’s carseat she laughed as he wriggled free, almost cross with her for the time it took to complete the action. As he busted free he leapt out of the car and jumped with excitement. She pulled the picnic blanket and kite from the boot and, clutching her takeaway coffee cup, the pair walked together toward the beach. Once she had shown Jacob how to fly the kite he informed her he would like to carry on alone. She let him be, wandering back to the picnic blanket. She watched as her little son giggled and she bristled as she thought of Joe’s words when she said she would take him to the beach. She felt piqued when he denounced her and claimed she couldn’t undo what was already done. He said her little boy was a dark soul and there was nothing more to it. She felt her cheeks burn as she relived the memory and tossed her empty coffee cup into the bin. A seagull’s call snapped her attention back and she looked over as Jacob ran towards her, every little bit of his tiny face smiling.

Thanks to Gill at Ink Paper Pen, another great week with Write on Wednesdays!

Related Posts

13 Responses to Write on Wednesdays… A gift of Serendipity

1. Naomi says:

Well this certainly piqued my interest!
    I’d love to read more of this.

2. Felicity says:

You have managed to evoke strong emotions in me as I engaged briefly with these characters.
    The scene was very real before me and I would love to read more about how their story unfolds.
    Piqued was smoothly incorporated too, which is no mean feat – great writing.

3. I resonated with this piece as I often find myself thinking about more deep and meaningful events that have taken place while I’m watching my kids play and be happy. I guess if they’re okay, I can work on me. I’d love to read more of this.

Anne xx

4. Yes, you incorporated the word really well. I almost didn’t notice it, which is a feat, seeing as we have all seen the word so many times over the last few days. You have blended the innocence of Jacob playing with the darker thoughts of his mother really well. Good job.

5. Sif says:

This has a ominous feel to it – and my curiosity is piqued! Is she living in denial, is her son really a dark soul, or was Joe just projecting?

6. Jodie Ansted says:

I’m with Naomi – would love to read more about this.

Loved it!

7. Lene says:

I really related to the mother in this piece. Such a peaceful, happy setting but with dark clouds present in her thoughts. Intriguing.

8. kimberlee says:

Interesting stuff going on here. 🙂

9. This is intriguing. It gave me chills but I am not sure if that is because I feel that Jacob has a dark soul or just because Joe sees him that way. I felt a little sad too, I kept putting myself in the mother’s shoes and feeling scared. I think a writer has achieved something special if the reader identifies with a character. Great piece!

10. Andy at WordsAndPen says:

Gill is right! This is really intriguing. Plus I like the way you ended it, smiling Jacob’s stuck in my head.=)

Andy

11. Wow! I’m looking forward to reading more 🙂

12. Thank you everyone for your beautiful comments! I am floored by your praise and looking forward to much more writing on Wednesdays.